New Year Detox Tips
The end of year festivities just keep on rolling in don’t they?!
This is wonderful for our social calendar but it can also mean that our health and wellbeing can take a bit of a hit.
Don’t fear though! Here are some healthy tips to keep things balanced, without ruining all the fun. It’s all about being mindful.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration! Whether it’s before during or after the New Year festivities, hydration is key so be sure to stock up on that h2o.
- Rest and sleep is imperative to ensure you are recovering from what has been a big couple of weeks and no doubt a late night on New Year’s Eve. Make sure you are getting the suggested 8 hrs sleep to help you make healthier eating choices.
- If you are wanting to share in some new years cheer with friends then why not clink a glass that has a few less calories in it! I know right, how good does that sound!!
Here are a few simple swaps for you:
- Go for a glass of champagne which has (89 calories) over a glass of white wine which has (160 calories)
- Go for a schooner of beer which has (140 calories) over a pint of beer which has (400 calories)
*You could even do one better and go for a light beer which has (50 calories)
- Switch your vodka tonic which has (175 calories) for a vodka, soda, and lime that has (106 calories).
- Swap your margarita that has (280 calories) for a Moscow Mule which has (120 calories).
- Go for a slimline gin & tonic that has (115 calories) over a standard gin & tonic which has (170 calories)
- Sip on a cosmopolitan which has 100 calories over a Long Island Iced Tea which has a whopping (424 calories)
- Mix up a martini which has just 70 calories over a Mojito that has (242 calories)Usually after a late night or a few drinks we all want to reach for those greasy breakfasts but why don’t we mix it up a little and go for a healthy smoothie? I guarantee you will feel a whole lot better. AND even if you haven’t had a big night out on new years eve then a healthy smoothie is an all round great option to kick off the New Year.
The key is in the preparation so make sure you have all the ingredients in the fridge the day before so all you have to do is throw it in the blender.
Try this smoothie –
- 1 small banana – The potassium will help soothe your stomach
- 1 cup Greek yogurt – The probiotics will help restore your digestion
- 1 cup coconut water – This is super hydrating and restores electrolytes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries – Hello antioxidants
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach or kale – This helps detox
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil – Helps balance your glucose levels & brain function
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds – Helps your digestive balance
- Handful of ice cubes – Add more if you like
- Add some honey and cinnamon for taste – Because we all love a mood boosters
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!